Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Harbourmaster Hotel (Formerly the Red Lion Hotel)
Situated at the NW end of Quay Parade close to the sea front and facing SW across the entrance to the harbour.
Early C19. One of the earliest buildings in Aberaeron and contemporary with the Harbour built between 1807 and 1811 by Rev Alban T J Gwynne. Purpose built to enable the harbour master to monitor all shipping.
Classical 3-storey and attic 3-window roughcast front with cill bands and rusticated long and short quoins. Slate roof with very wide boarded eaves, brick end stacks and central transverse gable with wide bracket eaves to ‘look out’ room lit by 2-pane semicircular headed sash window. 12-pane sash windows to all 3 floors, with deep plain reveals, lightly lugged architraves and projecting cills. Later projecting pitched slate roof porch to centre; 6-panel door and ornamental fanlight within.
Plain rendered right side with projecting chimney breast. Converted warehouse abutts at ground floor level. Plain rendered left side with 2 sash windows with glazing bars. Colourwashed rubble rear with narrow eaves and two 3-light sash windows with glazing bars to each floor with 2-light sash mezzanine staircase windows. Later extensions to rear.
Interior retains Geometrical circular staircase.
Reason for designation
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]