Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
19 Great Darkgate Street
Set into the slope of a continuous row of frontages in the lower part of the street.
Built 1908 to 1910 by Woolfall and Eccles of Liverpool.
Edwardian classical 2-storey 3-bay channelled front with polished granite plinth, recessed to centre. Bracket and dentil cornice to the taller ground floor and broken segmental pediment to centre below stepped up parapet and carried on paired Ionic derived columns in antis. Prince of Wales’ feathers and dragon panels to parapet refer to its origins as the ‘Wales bank’; dressed stone chimney stack. Horned small pane sash windows to top floor with lugged and foilage ornamented architraves. Giant lugged and arched headed architraves with keystones below; small pane lunettes to each bay. Pedimented doorcase offset to left with double panelled doors; console bracket keystones over central and right hand 4-light windows with swept up transoms, truncated to right by insertion of cash dispenser.
Interior considerably altered with insertion of an additional storey into the former banking hall.
Reason for designation
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]