Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Aberdulais Lock on Tennant Canal
Neath Port Talbot
On the W bank of the Afon Nedd between the Tennant Canal and the Aberdulais Aqueduct.
Canal lock, c 1823, the only one on the main line of the Tennant canal. Engineered by William Kirkhouse, the Tennant canal was begun in 1821 and the aqueduct across the River Neath at Aberdulais was begun in 1823. The canal opened in 1824 from the Neath Canal at Aberdulais to Port Tennant, Swansea.
Lock chamber with parallel walls of coursed stone. Wooden lower lock gates survive intact. Rebate of upper lock gates remains but is replaced by a wall.
Reason for designation
Included as the only lock on the main line of the Tennant Canal and as part of a group of canal structures at Aberdulais of special architectural and historic interest.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]