Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Aber-clwyd lock and overflow on Neath Canal
Neath Port Talbot
Situated on the Neath Canal between Resolven and Glynneath some 100m S of Aber-clwyd.
Late C18 lock refurbished c 1980 as part of the restoration of four miles of the Neath Canal from Resolven to Yscwrfa Bridge. The canal was originally planned from Pontneddfechan to Neath and was started in 1791 with Thomas Dadford Junior as General Surveyor. Thomas Sheasby replaced him in mid 1792 and the Neath Canal was completed in 1795. By 1799 the canal had been extended to the Giant's Grave near Briton Ferry.
Canal lock and overflow, chamber with coursed stone coursed walls and flat stone kerbs. New gates and machinery. On S side of canal to the NE of the chamber the towpath crosses an overflow channel carried on three contiguous segmental arches with stone voussoirs. Low parapets with flat stone copings each side. The overflow channel has sides and floor of squared stone.
Reason for designation
Included for its special historic interest as a canal lock with overflow channel retaining its character on this important C18 canal. Group value with the adjacent tail-lock bridge.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]