Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Aber-clwyd bridge over Neath Canal
Neath Port Talbot
Situated on the Neath Canal between Resolven and Glynneath some 100m S of Aber-clwyd.
Late C18 tail-lock bridge refurbished c 1980 as part of the restoration of four miles of the Neath Canal from Resolven to Yscwrfa Bridge. The canal was originally planned from Pontneddfechan to Neath and was started in 1791 with Thomas Dadford Junior as General Surveyor. Thomas Sheasby replaced him in mid 1792 and the Neath Canal was completed in 1795. By 1799 the canal had been extended to the Giant's Grave near Briton Ferry.
Canal bridge built into lock, coursed rubble stone with segmental arch of dressed stone voussoirs. Parapets to SW elevation are slightly splayed out each end to square piers and have cement slab copings. Parapets to NE elevation are shorter and have similar copings
Reason for designation
Listed for its special historic interest as a tail-lock bridge retaining its character on this important C18 canal. Group value with the adjacent lock and overflow.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]