Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Capel Als,including railings, piers & gates to Chapel Enclosure
Situated in acute angle of Marble Hall Road and Wern Road.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
1852-3 Independent Chapel by Reverend Thomas Thomas of Landore, altered 1894-5 by O M Roberts.
Capel Als was the mother church of numerous Independent congregations in Llanelli and the Reverend David Rees, noted figure in the development of the town, was pastor here 1829-1869.
Stucco unpainted Italianate building with 2-storey elevations, 4-window sides and 3-bay front, the centre slightly recessed.
Plain cornice and parapet, the centre parapet inscribed 'Capel Als' and with gabled capstone. Hipped slate roof with boarded eaves at sides and rear, parapet to front and short side returns. Front has arched windows in architraves with imposts, keystones and margin-glazed sashes. Sill band under first floor and paired pilasters framing outer bays of first floor. Ground floor has simplified paired strips to outer angles, corresponding inner pairs obscured by porch. First floor outer bays have single arched window and recessed centre has triplet of narrow windows. Ground floor has single narrow light each side and then porch of two 5-sided hipped-roofed projections each side of open 2-bay porch with lean-to roof and centre cast-iron column. Five-sided sections have 3 narrow arched lights to front faces and doors in inner faces. Within porch, centre large window with C20 Gothic glazing bars and stained glass.
Sides of main front have short return of cornice and parapet, channel-rusticated angle pier and stair projection with channel rusticated angles paired outer windows and long stair-lights on north facing sides. Hipped lean-to roofs. Side elevations beyond are plain 4-window with cambered-headed lower windows, arch-headed upper windows in raised frames. Sill band and channelled angle pier to west side. Two storey, 2-window rear building with arched upper windows, cambered-headed window and door below.
Chapel enclosure has an extensive set of cast-iron spearhead railings and gates with cast-iron Gothic gatepiers, the railings on dwarf rubble walls with cast-iron coping. Iron piers are marked 'Thomas and Clement, Llanelly' and coping is dated 1894. Railings extend up in front of Sunday School to east.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]