Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Parish Church of St Berres
Between the Druid Inn PH and Tyn Llan Farmhouse, with the E end to the main road.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Dedication said to be to St. Berres, Brice or Britius, a disciple of Martin the Hungarian. A church is recorded on the site from 1310. A reset 1650 datestone suggests C17 alterations, and the church was substantially rebuilt in 1722 probably by Joseph Turner, architect of Chester. S transept and W tower added in 1843 by Thomas Jones, architect of Chester, and most of the windows appear to have been replaced or restored at this time. The interior was stripped of render and fittings and refitted by John Douglas, architect of Chester, 1891-2.
Simple Perpendicular Gothic style, coursed and squared rubble, slate roof, stone gable parapets and moulded kneelers. E end has `STD 1650' datestone over cusped lancet niche and a depressed arched window set in a partially blocked former window opening. N side: two 2-light windows, low vestry with similar window. S transept which has a junction with the main building on the E side made, unusually, by a laced valley. W tower steps out and is flanked by cusped lancets. 3 diminishing stages, the first square, the second octagonal and the third in the form of a stone octagonal bell-turret with cusped openings; weathervane on top.
Hearse house to S of church with slate roof, rubble walls and C20 door.
Derives its character mainly from the Douglas refit. Timber roof supported by simple braces rising from stone corbels, simple bench seating, gallery at W end. The chancel has no structural expression, there is an oak screen carved with flowing tracery, sanctuary has encaustic tile floor. Simple octagonal font at W end with quatrefoils and the date 1684. Oak pulpit with carved and gilded oak panels, typical of Douglas's work of this period. Monument on S wall of sanctuary to Edward Jones, d 1685, his wife, d 1711, in the form of a cartouche with draperies floral drops and a winged putto. C19 monuments to the Carnons of Colomendy. In the transept a number of carved stone fragments have been attached to the wall including a circa C14 effigy and a memorial to John Meredith, rector, d 1660 with an extensive genealogy. At the north end of the nave are several creed and commandment boards including one signed `E Davies Painter ' and dated 1788. Charity board dated 1820.
Reason for designation
Group value with churchyard gatepiers and walls, and with the listed buildings of Tyn Llan Farm. Listed as a good example of a parish church with medieval origins and several phases of later development.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]