Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Trinity Methodist Church
Vale of Glamorgan
On prominent corner site at junction of Stanwell Road and Woodland Place
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Non-conformist church with impressive spire in C19 version of Perpendicular Style. Opened January 1901 replacing iron church on site. Architect of church Harry Budgen of J P Jones, Richards, and Budgen of 18 St Mary St, Cardiff. Hall opened May 1897.
Plan and Materials: Oriented E-W with altar at E end. Nave of 4 bays with 3 bay aisles to N and S (W aisle bays; N and S transepts; chancel with organ chamber to N. Tower in S angle between S transept and Aisle. Semi-octagonal porch at W end. Ministers vestry between tower and chancel; larger choir vestry to N of organ chamber connected to minister's vestry by corridor behind altar. Attached two-storey hall to E. Church in grey-brown stone with bathstone dressings, slate roofs, some shafts in polished granite. Hall in grey stone with bathstone dressings (rear elevation has dressings and quoins in yellow brick).
West front has five cusped-light window and semi-octagonal porch with segmentally headed two-light windows. South elevation; clerestorey with three segmentally headed 4-light windows each with smaller inner lights; below these, aisles have W bay at an angle; stepped crenellated parapet; three two-light segmentally-headed windows; bays articulated by stepped buttresses. Transept gable has large four light window; bathstone panelling in apex. Pinnacled tower has buttresses and parapet with quatrefoil decoration; three stages surmounted by broach spire with lucarnes; iron weathervane. Bell stage with two 2-light windows with quatrefoil panelling below; band of foiled panel work; below this broad window of four cusped lights. Lowest tower stage has entrance doorway flanked by polished pink granite shafts (floral bathstone capitals); boarded doors with ornate iron hinges.
North elevation follows S elevation but transept (W side) has blocked doorway; to E gabled vestry with three light window and small porch with blocked segmentally-headed doorway.
Church and hall in enclosure with low wall; octagonal gatepiers with bathstone Gothic capstones. To R of W front of church, Portland stone cross War Memorial.
West porch separated from nave by oak traceried screen. Three bay nave with raked wood-block floor. Arcades carried on octagonal pink sandstone shafts (St Bees' stone); foiled panel work in spandrels. West crossing piers consist of three grouped octagonal shafts. Panelled and boarded coved ceiling supported by wall-posts on floral corbels; transept roofs pointed wooden vaults. North transept has broad organ-chamber arch and paired Gothic arches (tracery over) to vestry. S transept two Gothic doorways to vestry and tower porch. Chancel has tall arch to organ chamber (N) with hoodmould and inset granite shafts. E end has wooden Gothic reredos with reproduction of Leonardo's 'Last Supper'. Polychrome Italian marble pulpit.
Hall: Two storey main elevation faces S. First floor has central broad six-light window in Perpendicular style flanked by lower two light widows to aisles. Ground floor obscured by modern brick extension but has four-light Perpendicular window and doorways with three-centred heads. Rear elevation facing Woodland Place has camber-headed sash windows .
Interior ground floor modernised. First floor hall has four bays of round headed arches supported on cast-iron columns; longitudinal lantern with Tudor arches.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]