Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Churchyard Walls and Gate Piers to St Mary's Abbey Church
Neath Port Talbot
Enclosure walls to a large, roughly rectangular churchyard to the N of the abbey church. It projects round to the W and incorporates the entrance gates.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
The gate piers are contemporary with the church restoration of 1805-10 as they are in the same style as the church. The flanking churchyard walls are older, although they must post-date the dissolution of the monasteries and the purchase of the estate by Sir Rice Mansel c1540.
A pair of ashlar gate piers of cruciform section supporting capped upstands on decorated corbels with further projecting band beneath. Between the piers are ornate double cast iron gates. The top rails curve up towards the centre to fleur-de-lis finials, and consist of a frieze of scroll-work. Bands of linked ovals bound the uprights which have arched heads with ornate pendant finials. Scroll-work to lock bar. Low dog rails consisting of tall pointed finials within curved motifs. Stylised crosses in bottom angles.
The flanking churchyard walls are of rubble stone of irregular height. Saddleback coping survives in some areas, rendered in places. Remains of former openings in N wall, now blocked. A late C20 entrance with round arch is immediately N of the Stones Museum, beyond which is a small lean-to.
Reason for designation
Listed for the unusual gate piers, similar to the church turrets, and for the extensive churchyard walls which impart character to this important group.
Group value with abbey church, stones museum and war memorial.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]