Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
16-18 High Street
Situated on the main commercial street which runs from south-east to north-west across Abergavenny.
1937 (inscription) and almost unaltered from the original design. A classic Burton store with all the characteristic design features which used to be displayed in every British town and have now gone almost completely.
Built of Portland stone, polished black granite, bronze and glass. Triangular site and plan giving the building a bold liner like appearance. The uncompromising moderne of the Burton house style is as was used in every store in the land. Two storeys separated by a wide fascia. The High Street front has a large 2-light display window on either side of a central entrance. Low stallriser, frieze and fascia all in polished black granite. Bronze framed windows, the frieze retains the run of the names of towns in which Burtons stores appear; the fascia has lost its original Burtons name which is replaced by the house one from the 1960s re-branding. Curved end with a narrow window, and then a single display window to left of another door facing Nevill Street; to the right of this door is a large black ceramic panel with red lettering 'Burton' in the original script. The upper floor is in Portland stone and has five steel framed Critall's windows recessed within a stone frame and separated by minimal pilasters, above is a carved Burton in the original script. The corner, which is curved on the ground floor is chamfered above and has a single window in a frame as before, while the Nevill Street front has three windows in a frame of which the outer ones are narrower. Plain parapet with the roof completely hidden from the street. Foundation stone on Nevill Street front, 'This stone laid by Raymond Montague Burton 1937'.
There is no rear elevation.
Interior not inspected at resurvey. The shop interior has few important features visible.
Reason for designation
Included at a higher grade for its exceptional interest and rarity as a well preserved Burton's store which retains almost all of its 1930s external detailing.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]