Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Barn at Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farm
Set into the steep slope to north-east and downhill from Ty Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farmhouse. The farm lies approximately 1km uphill from Cwmyoy Church on the eastern slopes of the Vale of Ewyas; reached via a track from Penywern farm.
Agriculture and Subsistence
History: Dated 1720 with initials J W. but reuses earlier material, perhaps from the C16/C17 house.
Substantial roughly squared rubblestone barn with corrugated asbestos sheet roof. South-west side has offset porch with boarded doors and is unusual for retaining its cobbled ramp entrance. Flanked by slit ventilators. Timber lintel to low-set door into cow-byre at south-east corner; fine 8-light (reused) diamond-mullioned window on gable end with three tiers of slit ventilators above. The barn is set into the hillside and this gable is the down hill end with an understorey.
4-bays with queen strut trusses and through purlins. Threshing bay towards downhill end with vertically set flags to the edge. Cow-byre to downhill end.
Reason for designation
Listed for its special interest as a well-preserved barn dated 1720. Group value with Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farmhouse and Stables.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]