Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of the Holy Cross
Situated above and some 125m NW of Mwnt beach under Foel y Mwnt.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Probably C13 in origin. Restored in 1853 when the nave was raised to create a chancel division and a two-decker pulpit and sounding-board were inserted (since removed). After storm damage in 1917, G.T.Bassett of Aberystwyth repaired the building and either then, or in a 1952 restoration by A.D.R.Caroe, the roof was lowered.
A roof stair in the N wasll was opened up in 1917 when sections of a carved rood beam were found. 1912 photograph in Church shows raised nave roof and two Georgian Gothic windows on S side which seem to be in different positions to current windows.
Single chamber C13 church with W bellcote. Battered whitewashed rubble stone walls with slate roof and coped gables. N side one nave leaded casement window pair and projection for rood stair. One similar chancel window with timber lintels on both. E end flat headed two light cusped window in eroded sandstone. S side larger leaded casement pairs, one in chancel and one in nave. Chancel window in blocked opening (formerly door). Low pointed arch doorway with rough stone dripstone above and C20 ledged door.
Whitewashed single chamber interior with complete medieval roof of seven trusses similar to one at nearby Penbryn and a lost roof at Cenarth. This unusual roof type has an arched-braced collar truss with a short King post above and trefoil cusping. Threaded butt purlins. Low stepped head flat timber lintel over door. Deep set windows. N side rood stair with low flat headed lower and upper door with iron rail across lower door. Carved timbers on display said by F.H. Crossley to be part of C15 rood screen parapet and once coloured. Aumbrey recess on N side, stepped flat headed lintel over N window. Timber vestry to rear of interior (NW corner). Grey stone C13 font, rectangular basin scalloped with darts and short round shaft on plain square base. C19 pine pews. Victorian hexagonal pulpit. Late C20 slate altar on slate steps. Altar rail (c1952) by A.D. Caroe.
Reason for designation
Included as a fine example, in an outstanding location, of a C13 Church with a complete and unusual medieval roof.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]