Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Magor Mansion (also known as the Procurator's House)
Magor with Undy
Situated adjacent to churchyard to north-west of St Mary's church.
Ruins of large C16 house, referred to in 1585 as a mansion house belonging to the Vicar of Magor. A possible former house on the site referred to in 1388 may have been linked with an Italian Abbey at Anagni to which church and tithes were granted in 1238, these subsequently leased by and eventually granted to the Cistercian community at Tintern; this may explain the traditional name of the Procurator's House.
Of roughly coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins, fireplaces and dressings. Two storeys and cellar. Of roughly rectangular plan with 2 small projecting wings, one possibly a porch facing churchyard and one recorded as facing village square. Main SE wall stands in part to chimney height which shows gable coping. On first floor are remains of recessed windows - no mullions surviving - with segmental pointed arched heads, 2 to full height. Chamfered fireplace with relieving arch and stack above and remains of further stack and newel stair to S. On ground floor are similar windows of varying dimensions and 2 flues, no fireplaces surviving but relieving arch above opening. Cellar has 4 segmental headed pointed arched openings. SW wall survives to roof level only as a short return with fragmentary openings. NE wall has two arched openings and a fireplace. Putlog holes and some internal lime plaster survive.
Reason for designation
Although scheduled, this building is also listed for its important architectural and historic interest and for its group value with Magor church and churchyard.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Mm 180.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]