Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Cwm Bwchel Farmhouse
On west side of valley, almost opposite Llanthony Priory, at the mouth of a side valley sited on a down slope.
Bears date 1694, but has origins as a late medieval timber cruck-framed house rebuilt perhaps in the late C16, and extended to the east at the end of C17, probably in 1694 as the date on the doorway. Refaced probably in the late C18 or early C19.
Red sandstone rubble, whitewashed on the front elevation, with a Welsh slate roof, with stone tile eaves courses to the front, metal sheeting to outshut, red brick chimney. Two-storey three unit single depth range with a long lean-to extension at the rear for the wet kitchen and dairy. Front facing farmyard has three windows. On ground floor, to left of doorway, two camber headed windows (right hand one of these is larger); to right of the doorway a square-headed window. Shallow camber headed windows to first floor. All these windows are C20 replacements except for the possible exception of the top floor left. Doorway has slated canopy; fine doorframe (double ogee moulding) has moulded lintel with brackets to ends (frame between brackets carved in imitation of voussoirs); shaped doorhead with initials "WP" to left and date "1694" to right; old boarded door with nails and strap hinges. Lower gable end has upper storey set back, broad window to each floor. To rear is a projecting stone chimney stack, with cornice. This is unusually in the lateral position and may have been added.
The entrance leads into a cross-passage now partly blocked off by an inserted framed stair, and going through to the added outshut. Fox and Raglan see this as an addition of 1694 which may be correct. The passage is separated from the lower end by a post and panel partition. The hall has an altered fireplace backing onto the cross-passage, an original blocked window on the rear wall and evidence for the firestair. Chamfered ceiling beams with bar-and lambs-tongue stops. Post and panel partition with a plank door having a cranked head to inner room. The added lower end room has a fireplace on the rear wall now blocked. The upper floor has evidence for the original cruck building in the cupboard beside the stack where the cut off cruck blade can be seen. Principal rafter roof of fairly low pitch with through purlins.
Reason for designation
Included as a fine example of this building type, having a number of interesting features as well as group value with the associated farm buildings.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]