Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Former External Kitchen at Cwm Bwchel Farm
Opposite farmhouse, set back from adjacent stable range.
Late C16/early C17, former external kitchen. The kitchen was last refurbished in the C19 and the chimney appears to have been rebuilt then. It seems likely that this kitchen was added to the medieval house at a period well before the upgrading of the house itself in 1694.
Roughly squared thin coursed local sandstone rubble with corrugated sheet metal roof covering. Single-storey, single cell building. stone chimney with cornice to right gable. To left a doorway with stone slated canopy over; small window to right of door. 5-light oak diamond mullioned window to rear, window in left gable apex. The right gable has an attached stone C19 privy. The left corner is attached to the rear of the Stable (qv).
The interior is open to the roof which is a principal rafter roof with two tiers of trenched purlins, most of the subsidiary timbers are gone. Fox and Raglan record a fireplace, boiler and oven at the west end, but it was not possible to say more than they still seem to be there at resurvey (May 1997).
Reason for designation
Listed as rare and well preserved example of this early building type. Group value with adjacent farm buildings.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]