Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St. Dunawd
Situated in a rectangular churchyard set back from High Street.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Thought to be the site of an early church possibly close to the site of a Celtic clas; rectors are recorded from 1300. The present building appears to date from C14, it was altered and the present tower built by Richard Trubshaw, architect of Staffordshire, 1726-7. The N aisle was added in 1832, and major phases of restorations and additions by John Douglas, architect of Chester were undertaken in 1868 and 1877. The furnishings were largely replaced, the N Porch and S aisle were added. A vestry was added to the N aisle, 1913.
W tower, nave with N and S aisles, long chancel under same roof. The building has slate roof of at least two phases. Chancel is of roughly coursed red sandstone rubble with various repairs. Fine Decorated window E end, 4-light Perpendicular windows on each side, both restored, that to N with cusping. Also on the S side is a 2-light window with flat head. N aisle and vestry of sandstone ashlar with a battlemented parapet, hipped roof and neo-Perpendicular windows. N porch with timber-framed gable and carved Aesthetic Movement motifs. S aisle is of red sandstone ashlar with yellow sandstone dressings and a range of 4 flat-headed traceried windows. W tower is of red sandstone ashlar with yellow sandstone dressings in bold, almost Baroque early Georgian style. It is of 3 stages with pilaster strips, round headed bell-openings, circular windows with exaggerated keystones, and on the W side a door with round head. There is a clock face on the N side and there are urn finials surmounted by weather vanes at the angles.
Decorated 3-bay nave arcades, that to N has truncated 4th bay. Chancel is very slightly narrower than nave; continuous arch-braced roof with cusped windbraces and struts; over the sanctuary there is a panelled waggon ceiling with blind tracery. Steps up to chancel and sanctuary; the latter has Victorian glazed and encaustic tiles. At the W end is a central round-headed opening leading to the tower which has a boarded door and a wrought-iron fanlight of C18 character. A well-preserved finely carved font, probably later C15, is situated in the S aisle. It has cusped panels and stem on the bowl; instruments of the Passion and shields. The early C20 font cover by E. Wybergh of Overton has elaborate and finely carved tabernacle work and angels. Against the W wall is another font with roughly carved octagonal bowl. Mounted on the W wall is a fine mahogany reredos with pilasters with gilded drops, gilded drapery swags and a broken pediment with urn containing Lords Prayer, Decalogue and Creed boards. At the base are the words 'The gift of Peter Lloyd of this Parish 1775'. Below this are 3 benefaction boards of C18 character, one with painted winged putto. Other furnishings are generally C19 and the pulpit is notable for use of Aesthetic Movement motifs. Stained glass includes some medieval fragments in the chancel S side, E window by Gibbs, 1868 and N aisle windows by Jones & Willis, 1931. Monuments include a number of simple elegant C18 wall mounted plaques including one on the chancel S wall with columns and an urn by John Nelson of Shropshire, Rev. John Fletcher (d1741). The bells are said to include 4 dated 1727 by Abraham Rudhall. The church also retains an early C14 sepulchral slab, a dug-out chest and the bressumer and brattished rood beam from the former rood screen reset at the W end.
Reason for designation
Listed grade II* as a medieval church with a fine early C18 tower and many interior features of quality and interest. Group value with Bangor Bridge, War Memorial and Old Bridge House.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]