Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Royal Welch Fusiliers Memorial
At the junction of Bodhyfryd and Chester Road, sited so as to face down Chester Road.
War memorial, erected in 1924, originally at the junction of Regent Street and Grosvenor Road, and moved to its present site after the Second World War. By Sir W. Goscombe John, sculptor. Ashlar pedestal and flanking walls, with bronze figures.
Central pedestal surmounted by figures in the C18 and C20 uniforms of the Royal Welch Fusiliers. Inscription commemorating the dead of the First World War on the pedestal, which is flanked by low quadrant walls which carry Second World War inscriptions, and have laurel-band cornice and raking copings. Walls terminate in stepped piers with segmental caps, and low relief emblems. The quadrant walls enclose a cobbled surface raised up steps.
Reason for designation
A good example of memorial sculpture, notable for its precise representation of Welch Fusilier Soldiers, in a fine monumental composition.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]