Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
War Memorial, Church of St Tysilio
Isle of Anglesey
Set on the top of a prominant outcrop within the churchyard of the Church of St. Tysilio, Church Island.
A war memorial designed by Harold Hughes (1864-1940), an important local architect and amateur archaeologist.
A large polished granite Celtic cross war memorial. The head of the cross has a circular surround, with rounded arms extending outwards and the inner cross arms divided by 3-sided celtic knots. Column with chamfered angles and tapering sides with recessed carved panels with inscriptions: "To the glory of God and in memory of those who fell in the war 1914-1918, their name liveth for evermore", and "1939-45", below. The column is set on a square plinth with rounded sides and a raking base inscribed with names.
Reason for designation
Included as a good example of a war memorial in the Celtic revival style, forming a prominent landmark of local historic importance and a group with St. Tysilio's Church.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]