Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
The Town Clock
Very Prominently located in the centre of The Circle.
Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Cast iron clock erected in 1858, cast by Charles Jordan of Newport, ironfounder. The clock itself was made by J. Joyce of Whitchurch, Shropshire (the firm still in existence). A committee to erect a clock was set up by Mrs Davies, wife of the Tredegar Ironworks manager, of Bedwellty House. The clock was to be illuminated (by gas) and to be prominently visible, in order to be viewed by ironworkers and other townspeople day and night: in addition, the clock struck on the quater and half-hours. The cost of the clock was £1000, with Mr R.P. Davies contributing £400, a public bazaar set up by his wife raising £500, the remainder raised by public subscription. The foundations were dug in autumn 1858, the clock finished in June 1859, two years after the death of Mrs Davies. Originally there were flights of iron steps facing each of the four axial streets: these were removed in 1933. The Circle originally grew as a square in the early C19, but the forceful prescence of the clock inclined later developers to follow its radius.
Clock is wholly of cast iron construction, the clock itself standing on a giant Tuscan column, 70 feet (21.34 metres) high. Tall square base, the sides with moulded ribs enclosing geometrical compartments, the central ones with inscriptions. E side is inscribed 'Chas Jordan, Iron Founder, Newport, Mon'. S side has: 'Presented to the town of Tredegar from the proceeds of a bazaar promoted by the late Mrs R.P. Davies. Erected 1858'. On the W side is the figure of the Duke of Wellington and 'Wellington, England's hero'. Shaft of giant tapering column has two narrow bands, and broad moulded capital. Large clock-case of iron with cardinal faces, Roman numerals to dials, and decorative spandrels. Ogee roof to clock with weathervane above. Clock is set in small square enclosure with C20 walls and rails.
Reason for designation
Listed as an extremely rare and remarkable cast iron town clock in a prominent townscape location. An important survival of the iron industry both in constructional and social terms.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]