Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Garden House at Llanvihangel Court
About 100m south east of Llanvihangel Court.
This building was listed as a 'Guardhouse' but it was evidently a summer house/ garden house which stood at the corner of a walled formal garden. The c1680 painting in the house shows it in situ with a pair to the north and a third one at the corner of the eastern terrace. It was probably built in the early C17, fairly soon after the 1599 rebuilding of the house.
Stone rubble base about 1m in height with red brick in Flemish bond above, eight sided roof with overhanging eaves in stone tiles, rising to a point which has a wooden finial with a ball at the top. The circular drum is supported by three raking stone buttresses which have been added at some time, but the way they are separating from the building suggests that they are unnecessary. Plain doorway with 4 + 4 casement above. Window at rear, unglazed with four vertical openings. There is also a slit window in the brickwork.
The interior is plain with a brick bench under the slit window. Wooden floor to the room above with trap. Roof structure with cross frame and central post.
Reason for designation
Included at grade II* as a rare example of a brick garden house of the early C17 which has strong group value with all the historic buildings at Llanvihangel Court.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]