Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Glyndwr including Railed Forecourt
In the centre of Grosmont village, some 50m NW of Grosmont Town Hall on the W side of the road.
Front bears date '1742' and initials 'WM', but internal evidence suggests the house has late C17 origins and was built in three phases. The SE room contains C17 features which are contemporay with the shaped doorhead in the back kitchen, dated 1684. This C17 house may have been built at right angles to the street. In 1742 the house was given a symmetrical Renaissance front, facing the road. Finally in the late C19 the garden elevations were remodelled in quasi-Aesthetic Movement style.
Large mid-C18 Renaissance house. Rendered and painted with stucco quoins; slate roof with tile ridge. Two-and-a-half storey symmetrical front. Hipped roof has brick end-stacks and three hipped dormers; original 12-pane fenestration to centre dormer, that to right is C20. First floor has five 12-pane hornless sash windows, with stone sills. Beneath the bracketed eaves is a panel inscribed with date 1742 and initials WM. Ground floor has centre doorcase with shallow pediment supported on narrow shaped brackets; 6-panel door with top two panels glazed. Flanking each side of doorway are two similar sashes on each side. Garden front to S has single storey late C19 verandah with hipped slate roof, band of open quatrefoils below eaves, wooden pillars with pierced trefoils in spandrels, and late C19 9-panel door. Two-storey rectangular bay window projects from left corner of facade. Ground and first floors of bay window have C19 3-light mullion and transom windows on all three sides, with small 4+4+4 panes above and taller 4+4+4 panes below. Parapet of bay has square panels with pierced quadrant decoration. Late C19 facade to W with twin projecting gables has irregularly placed sash windows on the first floor (4 small panes to upper sash, single large pane below) and C20 porch with monopitch roof on ground floor, with 8-pane sash left and smaller 4-pane sash right.
At the front of the house, bordering the roadway, is a narrow forecourt enclosed by decorative iron gate and railings.
Entrance into hallway containing C18 staircase,with side passage to rear rooms. Drawing room (to left) has C18 5-panel door, C17 fireplace lintel with half-round roll moulding and chamfered ceiling beams with runout stops. Room (to right) has C18 6-panel door and wooden fireplace lintel with segmental arch. Fine C18 oak stair, half-turns with landings round an open well; plain balusters, closed strings, square reeded newel posts with square caps, moulded hand rail. First floor chamber has shouldered C18 fireplace surround, with hob grate, flanked by C17 5-panel fireplace cupboards on each side. Attic of 5 bays with collar truss roof is partitioned into two rooms, one marked 'chees room' (sic), both with 2-panel doors. Rear wing, ground-floor has a fine C17 doorway dated 1684, more C17 exposed chamfered beams, and a late C19 neo-classical fire surround.
Reason for designation
Highly graded as a fine and well-preserved C18 town house with C17 origins and interesting late C19 alterations.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]