Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Britannia Bridge Memorial, Churchyard of Church of St. Mary, Llanfairpwll
Isle of Anglesey
At the edge of the churchyard S of the church.
Erected after the completion of the Britannia Bridge in 1850 and in memory of 15 men who died from injuries during the construction of the bridge. The memorial also bears the names of others who lost their lives on the bridge, including men working on the reconstruction of the bridge following a fire in 1970 and a 5 year old girl.
A limestone columnary memorial tombstone comprised of an obelisk set upon an octagonal plinth. Plinth has recessed panels in lower stage with slate inscription tablets set into N, S, E and W panels. Moulded cornice with lombard frieze above. Upper stage is comprised of a smaller, shorter octagonal plinth with carved panels bearing diagonal cross designs, on which is set an obelisk.
Reason for designation
Listed as a fine example of memorial sculpture, notable for its austerity of form and detail. The memorial is of considerable local interest for its association with the Britannia Bridge.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]