Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St. Cadoc
By the River Usk and the railway line to the south-west of The Bryn.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
No feature is really datable before the C15 but it seems likely that the church was re-featured then and the fabric of the body of the church and the base of the tower is older. The church was re-roofed with a straight ridge in 1827 by John Upton, the Gloucester engineer, and he probably also built the top of the tower and possibly added the south porch. John Prichard restored the church again in 1864-5 when the windows were repaired, the east window replaced and the furniture added. The church has been little changed since then.
Built of red sandstone random rubble with ashlar dressings, the top of the tower is clearly differentiated from the rest, stone slate roofs. Nave with continuous chancel under one roof, south porch, west tower.
The south wall of the nave is in three bays, porch, window and projection with window and rood stair. The porch is wide with an only slightly pointed arch and a broad gable with apex cross; pointed arch south door within. Both windows are 2-light square headed Perpendicular ones with cinquefoil lights and glazed spandrels; the right hand window is taller. Two of the larger type windows on the north wall. The roof line is continuous from nave to chancel, the line of the original nave roof shows on the east face of the tower.
The chancel has a 4-light window of the same type on both north and south walls, the south one projects slightly from the wall. The east gable is coped with an apex cross. The east window is a large 4-light Victorian early Perpendicular style one with hoodmould. Below the window are two small recesses, the south one apparently once a door.
The tower is tall and square without a stair turret. It has four floors which are demonstrated by the small windows on the south and west faces. The bell-stage is a clear addition or rebuilding, the stonework is carefully matched but lacks quoins and shows up as different on all four faces; there are plain bell openings on the east and north faces only. Conical roof with a ball finial.
The interior is wholly plastered and painted and is very plain. Continuous open roof of 1827, plastered and painted between seven large trusses with raking supports to the collars, wall-plate, ridge-piece, and three tiers of purlins. The top and bottom doors and the rood stair survive. Re-set possibly late Norman bowl font, otherwise the furnishings are by Prichard. Some medieval tiles, one dated 1456. Some good wall monuments.
Reason for designation
Included and highly graded for its special interest as a medieval church, sensitively restored by John Upton in the early C19, retaining significant early fabric.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]