Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of the Holy Cross
About 500m north of Kilgwrrwg House and approached by a footpath from it. Kilgwrrwg House is about 3km west of Devauden village approached by a long cul-de-sac lane.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
The walls may well be early medieval, perhaps C13, partly refaced, but the features are C16, C17 or C19. There are restorations recorded in 1718, 1820 and 1977-9, but the main one was in 1871 which involved the east window, the roofs and the furnishings; this was undertaken by John Prichard. In the early C19 the church had declined to the state of a 'dilapidated sheepfold'. The 1820 restoration was encouraged by James Davies, the Devauden schoolmaster, (see Church of St James, Devauden) who repaired, ceiled and furnished it mostly at his own expense. The parish was joined with Wolvesnewton in 1884. The present dedication was given to the church only in 1979, there being no previous one recorded.
The church is entirely constructed of local red/grey sandstone grading into conglomerate apart from Bath stone for the Victorian east window, the roofs are stone slate. The plan is nave, separate chancel, west bellcote and south porch.
The small nave has a blocked pointed arch entrance on the west wall. The coped west gable carries a small bellcote for two bells, but only one, dated 1698, is present. Large blocks frame the bell openings, gable above carrying a cross. This bellcote could date with the bell. There is a 3-light Perpendicular window on both walls of the nave, the design is the same, but the stone and condition is different, the pink sandstone south one may be largely Victorian. Cranked arch to the porch and the doorway within, plank door, coped gable. The chancel has blind side walls and a Victorian Decorated 2-light window with trefoil heads to the lights and a quatrefoil above. The churchyard contains a cross which is noted separately and a well preserved chest tomb to William Nicholas, died 1729.
This is very plainly finished and is wholly whitewashed. Part of the font is possibly pre-Victorian. The roofs are Victorian, the nave has three double collar trusses with two tiers of purlins and a ridge piece. The chancel has two arch braced collar trusses with two tiers of purlins and a ridge piece. Iron chandeliers for candles (no electricity).
Reason for designation
Included as a very attractive and little altered medieval church from a now deserted village.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]