The church is built mainly in a combination of local hard fine-grained limestone and coarse sandstone of the Tintern group, these are not always easily distinguishable from the coarse sandy limestones used for the architectural details. The church consists of nave, without clerestory, offline chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch and an organ chamber added to the south side of the chancel.
The nave, without clerestory, has coped gables, plain where it butts against the tower and with an apex cross at the east end. The south aisle and porch were built together, as the base plinth shows, with the wave mould going round both. The upper part of the aisle wall was rebuilt in 1882 as the different character of the stonework shows, and the windows date from then, but the sympathetic nature of the restoration suggests that the windows are reproductions of the existing ones. The aisle has four bays with diagonal corner buttresses. There is a tall 3-light Perpendicular window in the west gable and another in the east gable. The south wall has three lower 3-light windows, again with the same tracery. The porch is in the second bay from the left and has diagonal corner buttresses and a pointed archway, the mouldings of which are reproduced on the inner doorway; the door is a Victorian double plank one with good ironwork. The porch has a coped gable with apex cross. The chancel is medieval, but has had a lot of Victorian refacing done sympathetically, the organ chamber is wholly of 1882; this projects in front of the east gable window of the south aisle. The organ chamber has a coped gable and a lancet window with dripmould. The chancel has a plinth and stringcourse, but the organ chamber does not. The south wall has another 3-light Perpendicular window as before, and an Early English lancet which was reopened in 1882, and a 2-light Perpendicular one. The north aisle is wholly Perpendicular in character, although the windows can be seen to have been inserted into the existing walling. Plinth with wave moulded string, stepped buttresses, paired between the bays, diagonal at the corners. Continuous dripmould which is covered by the buttresses. Three bays, all five windows (1 + 3 + 1) are 3-light ones as on the south aisle. Coped gables with apex crosses.
The tall west tower is in ashlar and has three stages, with an octagonal stair turret on the north east corner. The moulded plinth is continuous from both aisles and round the tower. Diagonal corner buttresses stepped all the way up the tower; they cover the first string course, but go under the other two. Pointed arch west door similar to the south porch; 3-light Perpendicular window above, this has a similar character to the aisle ones, but it was inserted in an enlarged opening before 1909. The second stage has a single light opening to the ringing chamber on three sides. These have moulded architraves and pierced stone windows. The bell stage has a 2-light recessed opening on each face, also with pierced stone windows. Battlemented parapet with buttresses carried up into small finials.
The churchyard contains a number of C18 and C19 memorials of which the most notable is the railed enclosure on the north side of the chancel. There is also the fragment of what may have been the medieval priest's house about 50m north of the chancel.