Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Isle of Anglesey
Prominently sited in the centre of the village of Gwalchmai; within a railed enclosure slightly set back from the N side of the A5(T) Holyhead Road.
Erected in 1926; built by John Griffiths, Monumental Works, Llangefni.
Memorial clock tower. Three stages; the lowest is faced with rock-faced limestone masonry (the name of the builder and date of construction incised at the SE corner); the upper stages are ashlar with chamfered angles. Each stage has a moulded cornice, the clock stage with cornice arched over each clock face; the domed cap is surmounted by a plain cross. The second stage of the tower has a rectangular commemorative plaque in the S face to the men of Gwalchmai who fell in the First World War (a shorter plaque added on the E face following the Second World War). The S face carries a wreath in bas-relief set above the memorial plaque ; other faces have narrow, elliptical-headed louvred ventilation slits. Each face of the clock stage has a circular clock face with moulded surround; entry to the workings through a narrow doorway in the rear (N) elevation).
Reason for designation
Listed as an ambitiously designed and detailed memorial clock tower which is a prominent feature in the centre of the village.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]