Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Maughan
Delightfully situated in rolling farmland approximately 7km NW of Monmouth, in an almost isolated position down a narrow lane off the NE side of the B4347.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Probably mainly c.1300, but with some traces of c.1200; apparently partly re-constructed in the C15 or early C16. Considered a chapelry to Llangattock, it was restored 1865-6 by J.P.Seddon, architect for Mr J.E.W.Rolls of The Hendre, who had acquired the rectory of Llangattock-Vibon-Avel.
A small country church of low proportions, built of small random sandstone rubble, and the roofs now covered with small grey stone slates. The Victorian restoration appears to have been relatively sensitive, but according to Bradney "the church was much altered in 1866". It consists of a low and narrow nave with a W tower and a N aisle under a parallel roof.
The most distinctive external feature of the building is the W tower, which, like those at Rockfield and Skenfrith, is of a type characteristic of the Welsh borders, square on plan and sheer-walled, with a low pyramidal 2-stage timber-framed "dovecote" belfry, both stages close-studded. The tower itself is said to have been heightened by about 2 feet during the Victorian restoration, and the old belfry replaced. Apart from the belfry, the only openings are a small lancet window at ground-floor level of the west side and a simple looplight in the middle of the wall above.
The west gable wall of the N aisle has a small Perpendicular 2-light mullioned window with Tudor-arched lights, hollow spandrels and a hoodmould with hollowed block stops; its S side has a low gabled porch with a chamfered 2-centred arched outer doorway, the keystone carved with the date 1731 and initials TP; another Perpendicular 2-light window to the right of the porch and a Victorian 3-light window further to the right in similar style. At the east end the gable of the aisle has a Victorian 2-centred arched 2-light window with trefoil-headed lights and a multifoil in the head, and the gable of of the nave has a larger window with Y-tracery. Against the N wall of the nave are 2 plain sloped buttresses, a restored Perpendicular 3-light window between these, a small lancet below and to the right of this, and a similar lancet to the E of the E buttress.
The most remarkable element of the interior is the aisle arcade, which consists of 3 octagonally-shaped oak tree-trunks stopped to square section at the top, with smaller respond posts at each end and small restored arch-braces to a large and richly-moulded arcade plate. The surfaces of the timbers are keyed for former plaster covering. Both nave and aisle have large moulded wall-plates like the arcade-plate, and shallow barrel-vaulted ceilings divided into square panels by slender moulded ribwork with carved bosses: characteristic of the C15 or early C16, suggesting that they date from a reconstruction following the Glyn Dwr rebellion of 1402-5. Moulded beams span the church one bay from the E end, and also to the W. Evidence of earlier building is: a short half-column respond of c.1200 at the W end of the aisle arcade; part of a similar capital at the E end; the 2 lancets in the N wall, a 2-centred arched doorway to the tower, and the Y-traceried E window, which are all probably of the later C13. At the W end is a circular font with convex sides and a small moulding about two-thirds down, which may date from the C9 or C10. Attached to the N side of the E respond post is a brass plaque inscribed "This church was restored in the year of our Lord mdccclxvi by John E.W. and Elizabeth M. Rolls of the Hendre in thankful remembrance of many mercies and blessings". On the S wall to the W of the doorway is a wall monument in the form of a tomb chest commemorating General Sir Robert Brownrigg of Hilston House (q.v.), Governor of Languard Fort and Colonel of the 9th Regiment of Foot, d.1833. Stained glass in chancel E window, by Heaton, Butler & Payne, 1866, in Pre-Raphaelite style.
Reason for designation
Included as a good medieval church with some regionally characteristic features; the interior includes an unusual timber arcade.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]