Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Ty Mawr, with attached outbuilding
On the N side of the minor road between Dingestow and Tregare, about 2km W of Dingestow church
Probably built by Walter Williams, gent (dated 1640 on an inscribed stone). Regarded by Fox & Raglan as a good example of a house built on the traditional "Regional" rectangular plan but subject to Renaissance influences. S gable wall rebuilt in late C19 or early C20; interior slightly altered.
A sturdy rectangular 3-cell, 2½-storey lesser-gentry house distinguished by the rational regularity, if not symmetry, of its design. It is built of sandstone rubble brought to courses, with a blue slate roof and red brick gable chimneys, and stands on a N-S axis set back from the road, from which it is approached by its own gatehouse (q.v.). The S gable incorporates a re-located datestone inscribed "Hec domus / facta fuit / per W.W. / Anno Domini / 1640".
Having a gable-end entry at the S end (retained when this wall was rebuilt), the side walls have only windows - almost all with original wooden mullions. These are arranged in the same pattern on each side, with 3 regularly spaced at ground floor and 2 offset right at 1st floor, but differences of detail distinguish the E side as the architectural "front" and the W side as the rear. On the E side the central window at ground floor has an ovolo-moulded wooden lintel protected by a stone slate hoodmould with returned ends, and all the others have wedge voussoirs with unemphasised keystones. All three at ground floor and both at 1st floor are of 4 lights with ovolo-and-fillet moulding to the mullions (but the right-hand half of the central window at ground floor was blocked when a staircase was built inside c.1800). This side of the roof has 3 small symmetrically arranged gabled dormers, now with modern glazing. On the W side all the windows have wooden lintels (except that at ground floor of the N bay, which has been replaced with a concrete lintel). Those at ground floor have wooden mullions like the E front except that the centre pairs of lights have been replaced with casements; and the upper windows, which are smaller than those on the other side, now have modern casement glazing.
The N gable wall has two small 2-light wooden mullioned windows on each floor; and, in the gable above, 2 pairs of pigeon-holes with ledges, the lower double and the upper single.
Linked to the W corner of the S gable, at right angles to the axis of the house, is a long single-storey outbuilding which Fox & Raglan believed to have housed a kitchen and "cellar". Built of random rubble but with altered roof covering (part imitation slate, part corrugated sheet), and with a red brick chimney at the E gable, this is (in their words) "a patchwork of various dates" and has mostly altered openings, including a garage door in the S side.
A 3-cell plan with a heated former hall at the S end and a heated parlour at the N end separated by an unheated timber-framed pantry and through-lobby (now containing the staircase). The ground floor has ceiling beams variously moulded as double-hollow or double-ovolo, with tongue-and-bar stops. The parlour fireplace, though modernised, retains a massive Tudor-arched oak lintel with double-ovolo moulding. The 1st floor has beams like those at ground floor except at the S end, where they are chamfered, with tongue stops. The attic contains 5 large collar trusses.
Reason for designation
Listed as a very good example of a mid-C17 lesser gentry house, retaining many original features both externally and internally; and as the principal element of an unusually good group.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]