Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
A long range in the middle of the W side of the street, with cobbled pavement in front.
The property is mentioned in 1575 as the property of the Rumsey family and much of the outer fabric is C16-C17 in origin. It was remodelled in 1830 by the Nichol family and divided into separate dwellings with flying freeholds. There is a link with the Wyatt and Nichol family graves in St Mary's churchyard: the architect family of TH Wyatt and Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt (brothers), who organised the remodelling, married into the Nichol family. (Matthew Digby Wyatt was the co-designer with Brunel of Paddington station.) The grotesques at front door came from the Palace of Westminster. Bradney writing in 1921 refers to the name Ynys Hafod as recent.
Interior of Ynys Hafod has mainly single-width rooms, the late C19 staircase rising from the rear hall. Shutters, cornices, 6-panelled doors with fluted surrounds. Ceiling hooks to former kitchen/pantry. Upstairs a passage has been created in the remodelling to provide separate access to bedrooms. Gothick-glazed display cupboards on each floor, intersecting glazing bars upstairs, polygonal downstairs. Painted panelling in the cross wing, could be C17 in origin.
Interior of Min Yr Afon has a hall on the axis of the cross wing which joins the main building at a chamfered stone Tudor-arch, clearly an original entrance from outside as there are holes for bars behind. The inserted staircase of the Georgian dwelling rises behind, separating drawing and dining rooms which have 6-panelled doors, shutters; first floor bedrooms have plain marble fireplace and panelling. Attic in roof apex shows thick purlins and trusses. Landing has a small casement now opening onto Ynys Hafod interior. Cellar.
Reason for designation
Graded II* as part of an important group with C16 origins. Group value with adjacent listed buildings in New Market Street.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]