Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Turbine House at Pontsticill Water Treatment Works
In the Water Treatment Works ,adjacent to the Compensation Basin, under the dam below Pontsticill Reservoir and SW of the Filter House.
Water Supply and Drainage
Turbine House controlled the level of water flowing over the weir. This dates from the construction of the Reservoir in 1923, a massive water engineering project involving an extensive network of piping to the urban areas of S and SE Wales, which was termed 'The Two Million Scheme'. It involved a 2 shilling (10 pence) rate on local taxes and was carried out by the Taf Fechan Water Corporation, this latter body being contributed to by each local council. Resident engineer FV Stillingfleet, and engineers Sir Alex Binnie and Deacon and Thos F Harvey. 3400 million gallons (15456 million litres) of water a day was treated, as stated on the plaque on the Compensation Basin recording its opening by Lord Buckland in 1927.
Small building of coursed occasionally snecked rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings, its outer side forming part of the wall of the Compensation Basin. Welsh slate roof. Round-arched doorways with heavy doors, hinges and locks at each end of inner side and multipane metal-framed round-arched windows to sides and in the gable ends, the S masked by a later addition.
Interior painted white with a stained planked ceiling. Original hydro turbine by Gilkes of Kendal is retained, though this no longer in use having been replaced by a new version. Gantry for maintenance supported by heavy corbels and valves still in place.
Reason for designation
Included as an integral part of the original Water Treatment Works.
Group value with the Compensation Basin and the Filter House.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]