Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Just N of town centre and set back from the road in a garden, reached by a short drive and backing onto the River Usk.
In C17 the area was known as Conigre (rabbit warren). This house was built c 1834 for Thomas Reece, agent of ironmaster Crawshay Bailey. In 1851 census it was the highest rated residence in Usk.
Villa in classical style. Stucco rendered with shallow-pitched slate roof behind a corniced parapet; tall, long and narrow corniced rendered cross-ridge stacks. Near rectangular plan comprising main block with entrance porch and narrower, and lower, side wing to left. Two storeys. The main block has a three-window range of 12-pane sashes in reveals with narrow glazing bars to first floor; tripartite to ground floor under a moulded bracketed hood; side bays are slightly advanced. Two steps up to central porch with heavy entablature, Doric columns in antis, the latter created by engraving the stucco; set back is a very large doorcase comprising double 4-panelled doors, margin lights and a large overlight with margin-type glazing; stone flagged floor. To left is the two storey two-window range wing. The rear elevation to river is similarly configured to the front, except for the doorway which has a shallow moulded surround incorporating paired pilasters each side and an entablature with wreathed motifs; recessed 4-panelled door. N elevation has large 12-pane windows on ground floor, smaller above, blind to centre.
Said to retain contemporary furnishings such as 6-panelled doors, moulded surrounds with paterae, shutters, panelled reveals and shelved recesses, moulded plaster cornices and marble fireplaces.
Reason for designation
Graded II* as amongst the best of a small number of grander early-mid C19 houses in the town, especially interesting as a comparison with near-contemporary Plas-newydd opposite. Group value with listed buildings in Porthycarne Street.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]