Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
The principal entry to Monmouth from the south and east.
Site of the medieval bridge over the River Wye on east side of town. The present bridge dates from a complete rebuild in 1615, when it had seven spans, according to Coxe, but only five are shown on the Tithe Map of 1843. The bridge was again widened on both sides in 1878-80, architect Edwin Seward of Cardiff (but note inscription), when it was also given corbelled out parapet walls to carry footways. The westernmost arch has been further altered by canted approaches from the A40 dual-carriageway which was built along the river bank between the bridge and the town in 1962.
Built of red and buff sandstone ashlar with much patching. Five arched spans with the original pointed arches visible beneath but with both faces covered by segmental arches carried on the sharply pointed cutwaters. Corbel brackets carry altered parapet walls on either side and there are projecting features with pyramid finials between each arch with an additional one carrying an inscription in the centre of the bridge on the upstream side. The inscription says, 'This bridge was widened 1879 from designs by the County Surveyor, David Roberts Contractor'.
There is a long approach causeway on the east (qv Flood Arches] and the bridge has been slightly shortened on the west end.
Reason for designation
Included for its special interest as a handsome historic bridge at an important river crossing.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]