Square stone structure formed of two back-to-back porticos in antis of unfluted and unbased Doric columns. These, and the plain side walls carry a moulded cornice and a large plinth, a decreasing roof of stone slates then supports an arch flanked by anchors, and this, in turn, carries a replica statue of Britannia. Around sides of the plinth there are plaques commemorating sixteen admirals and their victories in date order. These are Hawke 1759, Rodney 1782, Gell 1793, Hood 1793, Howe 1794, Cornwallis 1795, Bridport 1795, Duncan 1797, Warren 1798, Keith 1799, Mitchell 1799, Parker 1801 (existing at resurvey 1974), and Boscawen 1759, Vincent 1797, Thompson 1797 and Nelson 1798 (replaced in 1987). The plaques are red, white or blue according to the colour of the admiral's squadron. The portico entablatures carry inscriptions 'BRITAIN'S GLORY' (west) and 'GLORIOUS VICTORY' (east). There are also two oval inscribed marble panels, one of which explains the monument,
THIS NAVAL TEMPLE
WAS ERECTED AUGUST 1ST 1800
TO PERPETUATE THE NAMES OF THOSE
WHO DISTINGUISHED THEMSELVES BY THEIR
GLORIOUS VICTORIES FOR ENGLAND
IN THE LAST AND PRESENT WARS
AND IS RESPECTFULLY DEDICATED TO
HER GRACE THE DUTCHESS OF BEAUFORT
while the other refers to two lost paintings, 'The Standard of Great-Britain waving triumphant over the fallen and captive of France, Spain and Holland' (concerning the Seven Years War) and 'The Glorious and Ever Memorable Battle of the Nile'.
The temple is surrounded by a roughly circular retaining wall of rubblestone with a single opening into the temple enclosure. It suggests that it provided a terrace for contemplation of the remarkable view, which is no longer available due to the tree growth since.