Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Jones Almshouses (part of Monmouth Boys School)
In a group in between the town centre and the River Wye.
Health and Welfare
1842-1843, by the architect J B Bunning of London. They were built to replace the 1616 almshouses of William Jones, which were a part of the Haberdashers Company foundation together with the School. The present almshouses were incorporated into Monmouth School and converted to teaching premises in 1961 following their replacement by the almshouses behind the Rolls Hall (qv Monmouth Public Library) in Whitecross Street. At resurvey in 1974 the doorways to Almshouse Street were all blocked with small modern windows inserted instead and Kissack includes a photograph of them in this condition. There was an additional range at right-angles which is shown on the OS map of 1918, but these have now been demolished, possibly also in 1961.
Built of red sandstone with Bath stone dressings and a Welsh slate roof behind parapets. Two storeys, ten windows and six doors on the ground floor and thirteen windows in all on the upper floor. The elevation is articulated by four gabled porches of one storey and two porches of two storeys in the following sequence:- one-storey porch followed by two windows then a two-storey porch followed by a six-window range containing two single-storey porches; the right end continues with a two-storey porch followed by two more windows and a single-storey porch. The doors are double plank ones with strap hinges in 4-centred arches and with coped gables, the two storey ones with finials. The windows are 2-light ones with small 2 over 3 pane sashes. Above are single light 1 over 2 pane sashes with marginal glazing, 2-light ones to the porches. Stone coped parapets with kneelers. Five tall clustered stacks on the ridge, each with four flues capped by tall decorative terracotta pots.
The right return has a window on the ground floor a moulded band between the storeys and a blind niche with dripmould in the gable. This niche carries the inscription, 'These alms-houses were founded A.D.1616 by Mr. William Jones Citizen and Haberdasher of London. Rebuilt by the Governors the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers London 1842 Thomas Howell Esq. Master J B Bunning Archt.'
The rear elevation has a lean-to verandah running the full length, nine bays with sandstone piers disguising iron posts. The ground floor has been altered and ceiled in the 1961 conversion. Above the roof are a range of very low 3-light windows under the eaves.
The almshouses were provided with the usual small rooms and minimal facilities when built and the interiors were converted to office use with consequent alterations in 1961 and they have been further altered more recently.
Reason for designation
Included for its architectural interest as an early Victorian building and for its additional historic interest as almshouses and as a part of an important town grammar school.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]