Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Neath Port Talbot
The bridge crosses the River Afan and serves as the physical link between the shopping centres of Aberavon and Port Talbot, the former a development of the 1990s. The roadway is now pedestrianised.
Built in 1842 to the design of William Kirkhouse, engineer of the Tennant Canal and author of an unexecuted plan to extend the canal to Aberavon. Later widened by half, probably in 1893 (lower date on keystone). The bridge formerly carried the A48 trunk road.
Bridge of 3 low segmental arches with flat deck. Spandrels and parapets faced with coursed stone; voussoirs, pilasters and cutwaters of tooled dressed stone. The voussoirs are of pecked stone, the raised keystones with herring bone decoration. The central keystone on the S side bears the dates '1842' and '1893'. The pilasters rise from the triangular cutwaters to the tops of the parapets. String course to parapets which have flat stone coping. Straight abutments, mainly rebuilt.
Reason for designation
Listed as a C19 bridge of unusually high architectural quality.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]