Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Bridge over Neath Canal SW of Ynys Nedd Farm
Neath Port Talbot
Approximately 2.2km ENE of Tonna church and on a farm track SW of Ynys Nedd Farm.
The Neath Canal was begun in 1791 and opened in 1794. Traffic ceased in 1921. The bridge is probably an original feature of the canal and was built to provide access to the land around Ynys Nedd Farm.
A single-span bridge of coursed rubble and segmental arch with dressed voussoirs. The abutments and parapet curve out the ends. The parapet on E side has replaced cement copings. The parapet on W side (partly collapsed at the time of inspection) is replaced with concrete walls flanking a steel rail. The surface of the deck is replaced with a hardcore of stones and is ramped at N end.
Reason for designation
Listed for its industrial archaeological interest as a built feature of the Neath Canal and for group value with other canal structures.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]