Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Situated on E side of Clytha to Bettws Newydd road some 600m S of Clytha Park gates.
Farmhouse, late C16 extended early C17, front altered in earlier C20. Noted by Fox and Raglan as being of 'early Renaissance' type, now symmetrical in layout. Original 2-room plan house of c1580 comprised hall with W end chimney and E end inner room, divided by a stone wall. To this was added a third room W of the stack and a central rear stair tower, c1620. They noted as indicative features of the early C17 work the hoodmoulds, reserved chamfered windows, and shaped door heads on the stairs, some by then removed. They also noted the early lattice glazing and wrought iron casement handle of two rear windows.
Marked on 1845 tithe map as part of the Trostrey Court estate owned by Sir Samuel Fludyer, and occupied by William Griffiths, with 127 acres (51.5 hectares). Modernised according to Fox and Raglan before 1942, further restoration has replaced the surviving timber mullion windows in the stair tower. Now part of Pontypool Park estate.
Farmhouse, whitewashed rubble stone with slate roof. Massive external W end stone stack, offset on right, and with brick top. Stone and rendered ridge stack and small E end stack. Two storeys and attic, long S front with casement pair windows, one each floor left, then C20 door, part of early C17 addition left of ridge stack. To right of stack one similar window each floor to hall and upper end door in added glazed porch with casement pair above, set higher than those on main part. E end has modern long attic window, replacing loft door. W end has bread oven left of stack and some corbelling above. Rear has gabled stair tower with lean-to to left. Reserved chamfered windows with oak frames renewed, original stone hoodmoulds. Three-light first floor window with original iron casement to main range to right of stair tower, over former door. Stair tower has similar 2-light E at first floor and attic, the attic window shown blocked in Fox and Raglan photograph. Similar 2-light windows to tower N and E sides.
Three-room plan, entrance into original upper end, now kitchen. Hall below has 3 heavy chamfered beams with stepped hollow stops and diagonal stops to joists. W end fireplace with massive stone lintel and chamfered jambs, the lintel perhaps added in renovation. Two doorcases to stair and lower end with shaped doorheads. There was a post and panel screen below, dividing off passage from parlour. Four large beams in lower room. Modern fireplace to W end chimney. Rear stair tower has Tudor-arched door into cellar, jambs widened for barrels. Stair has square centre core in stone and solid oak treads. One first floor fireplace with massive lintel and chamfered jambs in grey stone. Heavy beams, also large principal rafters in lean-to. Two-bay roof over stair. Two chamfered collar trusses to W end roof with massive triple purlins and big ridge beam. Lighter truss over E end.
Reason for designation
Listed as an impressively intact late C16-C17 substantial farmhouse retaining unusual two-phase early plan and original exterior and interior detail.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]