Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Neath Port Talbot
Located along the main avenue beyond the war memorial.
In 1918 Emily Charlotte Talbot of Margam Park donated a field in the town as a memorial for the dead of the 1st World War (1914-18). The park was laid out in its present form in 1925-6 having cost £13,000.
Octagonal bandstand with cast iron columns supporting a domed roof with cupola. Low red brick plinth with concrete coping continuing as floor. Four concrete steps to W side, bounded by replaced red brick walls with short square end piers. Eight ornate circular columns with bases as vases with foliate decoration in relief, rings and beading, and with foliated voluted capitals. The columns are supported on high fluted and ringed pedestals, between which are panels of cast iron openwork railings. These are decorated with scrollwork and flower bosses, with squares to the dog rails. The columns support segmental-arched cast iron panels with scrollwork and flowers in the spandrels. Pendant finials to centres of arches. The eaves project and are partially supported by brackets at right angles to the arched panels and in the same style. The domed roof is lead covered to the exterior and timber boarded to the underside. Small centrally-placed ceiling rose with scrolled decoration. Moulded cast iron eaves with raised open scrollwork and tall finials at the angles. The lead-covered cupola, a smaller dome, is surrounded by an openwork cast iron frieze and supports a weather vane.
Reason for designation
Listed as a little altered example, with fine detail, of an increasingly scarce building type. Group value with other features in the park.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]