Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Stable block and Garage at Tredean
About 150m south of Tredean.
Built 1902 (dated), designed by Arthur Jessop Hardwick (1867-1948) for Henry Simpson and built by Turner of Cardiff Henry Simpson had bought the eastern Wolvesnewton and Kilgwrrwg estates from the Duke of Beaufort in 1900. The building remains almost unaltered from when built and during the 1990's has been restored and refurbished to a very high standard.
Built in coursed rough sandstone rubble with some ashlar dressings and mostly roughcast walls; red tile roofs, re-covered in the 1990s. Mixed use building of courtyard plan in the Arts-and-Crafts style. It comprises double garage, stables, coach-house, houses for coachman and chaffeur and a generating house. Arched entrance tower to courtyard, segmental moulded stone arch with heavy projecting cornice on brackets; tower room above with 3-light mullioned window, ashlar parapet above this with roof hidden behind. Hopper head to right of arch dated 1902. House to the left (chaffeur) and accommodation right (groom), with gables and canted oriel above, the lower floor is blind. Side ranges of the yard have their outer walls blind, garages to the left and stables to the right. The interior of the courtyard has an ashlar stack for the chaffueur's house in the left corner. Double garage with boarded doors. Gabled generating house on the rear of the courtyard. Stables and coachhouse to the right with door and coach-house door. Roof lights. Rear of entrance tower is rubble faced with another 3-light mullioned window above.
The double heated garage has tiling and drains for car washing. The stable has iron fittings with three stalls and a loose-box. The generating house has a red tiled floor which shows where the generator once stood. The interior of the living accommodation was not seen at the time of the re-survey.
Reason for designation
Included as stable block contemporary with and having group value with the important Arts-and-Crafts house. It has additional interest as a combination stable and garage block of a type which had only just become necessary with the introduction of cars in the early C20.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]