Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
East Courtyard Buildings at Mounton House
About 60m north east of Mounton House.
Part of the layout of ancilliary buildings designed for Mounton House by H Avray Tipping and Eric Francis in 1912. These buildings were converted for educational use in 1950 and continued as a part of a school until 1999.
Constructed of squared rubble stone with tiled roofs. They are in the form of a courtyard open to the main approach with single storey buildings, with gabled wings coming forward to the drive. The interior of the courtyard has post-1950 joinery and the building was clearly extensively altered losing all stable and coach doors etc. and having them replaced by standard windows. The exterior faces also have all 1950s joinery. There is one gable in the courtyard with a 4-light Tipping window and the two gable ends have 3-light ones. It is the contribution of these gables, matching those listed with the house on the other side of the entrance drive, which remains this building's principal importance which was apparently inspired by an arrangement of barns at Markenfield in Yorkshire.
The buildings have been extensively altered in the conversion from stables to school buildings etc.
Reason for designation
Included as a part of the important layout consisting of Mounton House, the ancilliary buildings and the garden features, designed as a whole and constructed 1910-1912 by H Avray Tipping and Eric Francis. This particular building is rather altered and has been included principally for group value.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]