Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Cross at Croes Lwyd
Situated on S side of Broom Lane about 400m E of Broom House, at the bottom of the garden at Whitecross Cottage.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Monolith shaft and head of a medieval preaching cross. The cross was situated on the former boundary of the C15 Lordship of Raglan and is specifically mentioned in the grant of the Lordship to William Herbert in 1465.
Stone cross and top of octagonal shaft hewn from a single piece of stone. The top of the shaft has a very plain flat capital and the head has raised Greek cross and raised border to rough 8-sided head, the diagonal sides concave-curved.
Reason for designation
Included as a very rare survival of a medieval boundary marker.
Scheduled Ancient Monument MM156.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]