Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of Saint Mary
Situated in churchyard on S side of Spittal village.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Anglican parish church, medieval origins, much restored in C19. A repair in 1792 is recorded on a roof timber, extensive works were done in 1834-6 by William Phillips of Haverfordwest. Before 1897 the nave and chancel were separated by a low round arch, with squint each side. There were repairs in 1853 and then in 1895-6, the later by Pinder & Fogerty of Bournemouth, when the chancel arch was altered, vestry built and the roofs boarded, all for £438, and a new pulpit and reading desks added by Jones & Willis. Repaired 1992 when vestry chimney removed and sanctus bellcote repaired.
Church, rubble stone with slate roofs, coped shouldered gables and cross finials. Nave, chancel, S porch and S vestry, W bellcote and small sanctus bellcote on nave E end. Windows are all C19 ashlar with stone voussoirs, plain uncusped lancets to nave, 3 to S side and 2 to N. W wall has battered base and C19 2-light pointed W window with cusped Y-tracery and hood. Bellcote above for 2 bells, with coped gable. Nave S has one window to left, 2 to right of porch with rough cambered-headed entry and C19 roof. Chancel S vestry has gabled 2-light window breaking eaves, the window with 2 cusped lancet lights. Chancel has small cusped S window, 2-light E window with quatrefoil head and 2 small cusped N lancets.
Plastered interior with open roofs. Nave roof has Tudor-arched braces to low collar trusses, close-spaced. Chancel arch of 1896 is plastered, plain chamfered, and pointed and is flanked by 2 lancet squints. Fine C12-C13 square scalloped font shaped below to round shaft. Pulpit of 1897, with traceried open panels, oak pews, eagle lectern. Chancel has collar rafter roof with angle bracing, open lean-to vestry to S and shallow cambered-headed wall-recess on N. Oak stalls and matching reading desks of 1897. One step to sanctuary with 4 cast-iron standards to rails, with twisted posts and scrolls. Encaustic tiles, panelled E wall and reredos with inset white marble carved Last Supper, of 1920. Stained glass E window 1920 by Mary Lowndes, Christ and soldiers, Arts and Crafts work with rich colours and much opaque glass. Nave N St Michael c1920, and nave S Angel at the Tomb (d1898), both signed by A L Moore of London. Patterned glass of 1850s elsewhere, including W window. Memorials: W end plaque to Ann Morgan (d1819), S plaque with crude cherub head to John Higgon (d1732), George Higgon (d1736) and Ann Higgon (d1747); framed doubleplaque of c1837 to Higgon family. In the porch an important inscribed stone of the C5-6, inscribed EVALI FILI DENCV- CVNIOVENDE MATER EIUS.
Reason for designation
Included as a parish church of medieval origins with important inscribed stone, C12-13 font and unusual stained glass E window of 1920.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]