Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Isle of Anglesey
Located in the centre of the crossroads at the centre of the village of Llanfechell. The memorial is sited in front of Crown Terrace and c45m due S of the Church of St Mechell.
Early C20 war memorial. Erected in the 1920s and unveiled by Dame Margaret Lloyd George. Built to commemorate those lost in the First World War; memorial plaque added after the Second World War. Made by John Griffiths, Monumental Works, Glanhwfa Rd, Llangefni; inscribed on S corner of the raking plinth at the base of the monument.
Early C20 war memorial in 3 stages. Built of dressed stone and on a square plan with chamfered angles. Set on a low stone plinth which has rounded corners with ball finials. Lowest stage with raking plinth and moulded cornice; narrow rectangular door to rear (NE). Middle stage with marble memorial tablet to front (SW) continued down onto lower stage and with added tablet below; tablets set in recess with hoodmould over. Above the tablet is a coat of arms within a moulded circular recess; a chevron with 3 lions rampant and a banner bearing the inscription and date: MON MAM CYMRU 1920. Each return (SE and NW sides) have narrow leaded lights with round heads. Above the moulded cornice is the clock stage; each face with recessed circular panels, on the front (SW) face with clock. The memorial is stepped up above the clock stage and surmounted by the figure of a soldier in battledress, his rifle held at rest in front.
Reason for designation
Included as a striking early C20 War Memorial which together with the adjacent Church of St Mechell, Rectory and Crown Terrace make a strong visual group that form the heart of the village of Llanfechell.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]