Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Old Court House
The building fronts the road close to the junction with Northop Road (A5119), and faces N towards the church.
Dated 1877 and by John Douglas, architect of Chester. Commissioned by John Bankes of the Soughton estate as a police station, court house and newsroom.
The entrance to the Old Courthouse leads into a stairhall, lined in red brick. To the L is a plain timber dog-leg staircase with moulded handrail, with cloakroom beneath. Straight ahead is the main chamber which is orientated N-S and has 2 timber cross-beams. The room is lined in yellow brick with glazed dado. Yellow brick relieving arches over windows, doorways and fireplace to centre of E wall. This is of moulded grey stone with a flat head. To the L is the former doorway into the police station, now blocked. Glazed chamfered brick mullions to interior of windows. Upstairs is a narrow corridor to the W with access into a 2nd chamber of equal size to that below and with similar detail. Canted ceiling with 2 collar trusses; smaller stone fireplace.
Reason for designation
Listed as an exceptional civic building of genuine rural character which displays the sensitivity of the architect John Douglas, in blending vernacular forms and materials.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]