Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Royal Charter Memorial
Isle of Anglesey
Located within the churchyard of St Allgo's church, directly SSW of the church.
Mid to late C19 obelisk memorial. Erected by public subscription to the memory of those who perished in the wreck of the Royal Charter off Moelfre on 26th October 1859. The Royal Charter was a steam clipper which had sailed from Melbourne in Australia and was bound for Liverpool, on board there were 524 passengers and a crew of 105; their remains are buried in the churchyards at Llanallgo, Llaneugrad, Penrhos Lligwy, Llanwenllwyfo, Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf, Llanbedrgoch, Pentraeth, Llanddona and Amlwch.
Pink and grey granite obelisk memorial set on a bevelled stepped base and chamfered plinth inscribed on 3 of the 4 facing panels; there is a moulded cornice to the shaped base of the obelisk.
Reason for designation
Included as a memorial to a particularly remarked local shipwreck, the loss of the Royal Charter, a testimony to the maritime history of Anglesey.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]