Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Approximately 1km S of Llanvetherine, on SW side of minor road that runs between Llanvetherine and Llantilio Crossenny.
To a house of c1600 aligned roughly E-W, a parlour block was added to N, c1635 . Further additions were made to S, probably in the C19. However, the origins of the house may be earlier, possibly as a cruck-framed three unit hall-house. The RCAHM (Wales) have suggested this timber framed house may have been rebuilt in two stages c1575 and 1600, at which time the crucks were removed and used to construct the nearby farm buildings.
Rubble stone with C20 tiled roof; brick ridge stack at S end of parlour block, projecting stone stack to W gable of c1600 house, painted stone lateral chimney to front of S wing. Windows are C20 reconstructed sunk chamfer and ovolo mullions. S front comprises (l to r) S wing, projecting E gable of c1600 house, and N parlour block. E Gable (centre) is two storey and attic; gable head has 2-light mullion, first floor 4-light mullion and small single light window to right, ground floor a slightly taller 4-light mullion; all with angled dripstones and stone sills. Parlour block (right) is three storey with 2 small stair windows on left side of facade. Attic has 4+4 pane casement, first floor 4-light mullion, and ground floor a boarded door. W gable of c1600 house has off-centre projecting stack. To right of stack, W gable first floor has 3-light mullion, and ground floor 6-pane horned sash; to left of stack, first floor has 3-light mullion with entrance doorway on ground floor. Parlour block is set back to left, with 3-light mullion on second floor and C17 ovolo moulded mullion on first floor. S wing has C20 sash windows and doors under cambered stone arches with stone voussoirs.
Entry from W gable into service end of 1600 house (now kitchen), with Hall, separated by C20 partition, to E. The original post and panel partition has been removed but its former position is marked on the head-beam; peg-holes suggest it had wide panels, and doorways at each end. Ceiling beams are chamfered with hollow and fillet (Wern-hir) stops, and joists have angle bead. N wall cellar doorway has chamfered wooden doorframe. Hall has chamfered beams with truncated broach stops, and plaster ceiling with reed moulded cornice. Massive fireplace with monolithic head and jambs and hollow chamfer. Fireplace cupboard (to right) with panelled door. Fireplace stair has shouldered arch, and plank door with 'trident' hinges. Wide winding staircase has unusual reed moulding on risers; stair between first floor and attic is C17, but from ground to first floor is C20 copy. First floor of c1600 house has chamfered ceiling beams with diagonal and broach stops. Big megalithic fireplace, hollow chamfered with diagonal stops. Attic has framed trusses with tenoned collars and three tiers of trenched purlins. Parlour Block is reached via the fireplace stair. First floor doorway has unusual shaped head: scrolled sides with stepped head and pendant knob; ovolo moulded surround with unusual flat and scroll stops. Ovolo moulded ceiling beams have similar stops. Ceiling and window reveals are ornamented with reed moulded plasterwork. Fireplace has chamfered stone jambs with scroll stops, and ovolo moulded lintel. Second floor of parlour block has similar doorway, beams and fireplace. Also good and finely decorated late C18 Forest pattern ('duck's nest') cast iron hob grate.
Reason for designation
Listed as a substantial house of c1600 with fine early C17 parlour block, which retains well-preserved plan, and high-quality interior detail. Group value with the listed farm buildings at Newhouse.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]