Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Situated at end of Heol y Ffynnon, lane of some 750m running NW from Yr Hen Ysgoldy opposite church in Llanarth.
Late C16 to early C17 storeyed house of inside cross-passage type. The surviving interior detail and evidence for an 'upper chamber' above the hall may suggest prosperous ownership. About 1900 a larger wing was added at right angles to S together with some remodelling of original building; outbuilding range beyond dated 1907.
Marked on 1843 tithe map as owned by John Jones of Llanarth Court occupied by Richard Bills, with 290 acres (117.5 hectares) that included Longbarn Farm.
Farmhouse, whitewashed rubble stone with some whitewashed render or brick to c1900 wing. Slate c1900 roofs with overhanging verges and red brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, L-plan, original house is short range to N running E-W, larger c1900 added SW wing with present entrance, and single storey outbuilding running further S. Ridge stack on wing, S end stack on original E range. Windows are generally c1900 casements in pairs or triples with moulded dripstones. Approach is along E front of wing which has 2-window range of casement pairs, that on ground floor right with timber lintel, perhaps once door. Door is further right, near the angle. Tudor-style door, possibly reused and restored, with moulded drip. One-window range of triple casements to S front of original part, this latter elevation has been rebuilt contemporary with the addition of the wing. Blank E gable end with one slit staircase window. N wall has not been rebuilt, see battered plinth. Ground floor left has pantiled lean-to obscuring door. First floor has another small slit lighting stair to left, and fine leaded 2-light window to left of centre in deep-set chamfered timber frame. W gable end has c1900 triple casement each floor and gable has been rebuilt in brick, presumably there was a chimney. W side of wing has rubble stone ground floor, whitewashed brick above. Two similar triple casements above and ground floor casement pair with C20 lean-to to right obscuring door.
Long low range of whitewashed rubble outbuildings to S, single storey with door to extreme right of E front and inserted brick-framed door further left. Two garage doors beyond. Red brick end gable with outside steps to loft door, dated 1907.
Originally entered directly into hall creating inside cross-passage plan (illustrated in Fox & Raglan). Stone-flagged with fine post and panel screens partition retaining traces of original painted floral decoration, principally to the back; stepped hollow stops to chamfered head beam and ogee headed doorway to left with diagonal stops. Opposite is the chimney - replaced in C19 work, heavy beam over. N wall, beyond door into lean-to, has remains of the timber frame for a 6-light diamond-mullioned window. Winding fireplace stairs at E end to upper chamber with 3 large beams and square-framed partition over hall screen, with four-centred doorways to either end - that to right is blocked and that to left is now seen from C19 corridor. At the NEcorner is a door on to a cupboard beside the chimney (not an intended continuation of the stairs?). W room has 2 beams. Loft reached via loft of C19 wing has 5 close spaced massive collar trusses sitting on main beams, not pegged to them. Double massive purlins, diagonal ridge beam and some surviving old rafters.
The most important feature of this interior is an almost certainly contemporary wall painting beneath the plaster on the wall above the hall chimney; its position here could indicate that it has been moved; stylistically it is similar to the decoration on the rear of the main screen. It is a good and well preserved example of the brocaded style typical of the period and it is possible that more may exist.
Reason for designation
Graded II* as a well-preserved C16-C17 farmhouse with early history, retaining early plan-form, together with unusually fine interior detail.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]