Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
In a prominent position opposite the modern police station.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
1878-9 by John Douglas of Chester. Built as St John's Welsh Church but now sub-divided as a church hall. Arts and Crafts Gothic.
Broad 5 bay aisle-less nave, 3 bay chancel. Low Ss transept with basement forms base of intended tower with projecting stair turret.
Random squared rubble with red Helsby dressings, steep red tile roofs with toothed ridge. Plain verges, exposed raftes at eaves. 2 iron crucifixes to ridge.
Raked buttresses, angled to chancel. Two centred arch with hoodmould to porch, quatrefoil side windows.
3 blocked stepped lancets to W end. Paired lancets to nave, narrower lancets to chancel, S transept and "tower". Oculus in S transept gable. 5 stepped lancets under single two centred arch with hoodmould to east end. String course steps up to sill.
Interior of stock brick with plain brick hoods to windows. Suspended ceiling inserted.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]