Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Michael
Llanfihangel y Traethau
At then end of a country lane leading N and W off the A496 in the village of Ynys.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
The masonry of the church is thought to be largely Medieval, with a joint in the masonry in the N wall suggesting that the nave pre-dates the chancel. No architectural features have survived the restorations of the C19 however; and the church is recorded as having been restored in 1845 and 1866, and again in 1890-1 to plans drawn up by Henry Kennedy in 1884.
In 1886 new seats were installed, the belfry was built, the W gallery was removed and the N vestry built; 2 inscribed stones were found at that time which are now housed in the vestry. The roof may also have been renewed during the course of this restoration, though some original timbers were retained.
The windows date to the later restoration, the western upper jambs and arches of earlier windows of uncertain date can be seen to the W of the present central and easternmost windows in the S wall. Font appears to be recut in C19 but may be Medieval in origin.
Rural parish church of simple gothic character, comprising continuous nave and chancel with added N vestry and W porch. Built of coursed rubble masonry with large stones as quoins; sandstone dressings. Porch has snecked rubble masonry with sandstone quoins. Slate roof with decorative tiled ridge and stone copings; single bellcote at W gable surmounted by a decorative cross.
The church is of 3 bays each with a pointed arched window of paired lights, the E window is similarly detailed but has 3 lights with hoodmould and there is a lancet window in the E wall of the N vestry and a pair of lancet windows in the W wall above the porch; the porch outer doorway is also a pointed arch.
The inner porch doorway has a pointed arched head and opens into the W end of the nave. The church has a roof of 7 bays with exposed timbers and diagonally set tongue and groove panelling between. There are arch braced collared trusses with tie beams on which there is a painted verse. The sanctuary is raised by a single step and has a moulded rail on twisted stanchions with floriate brackets. The font is at the W end of the church and has an octagonal bowl on a shaped plinth and square base. The windows are mid to late C20. The doorway to the N vestry has a pointed head and there is an organ recess directly to its W.
There are several slate memorial tablets in the vestry (two of which are partially obscured by a cupboard along the W wall): to Morgan Jones of Borthwen fawr d.1779, to Reverend William Jones of Ty Fry and heir to the Lasynys estate d.1806, to David, son of Morris Roberts (and others - obscured) of Caer Ffynon d.1798, to Ellis Wynne of Glyn d.1691, to Reverend John Morris d.1852 and one other, obscured. On the S wall of the chancel is a marble tablet with cherubs head above, to Johannis Owen, son of Robert and Margaret Owen, d.1690.
Reason for designation
Listed as a rural parish church which retains some of the original Medieval fabric and timbers.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]