Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Mary (disused)
Isle of Anglesey
In an isolated rural location, along a footpath across the fields from Meinir farm. The chapel of ease is set within a rectangular churchyard c1.25km W of the Church of St Ceidio.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Simple C15 chapel of ease to Church of St Ceidio; retains late C15 E window. Much restored in mid C19. In ruinous condition on inspection.
Late Medieval rural church with continuous nave and chancel. Built of roughly squared rubble masonry with large stones as quoins. Roof of small old slates, grouted with stone copings and W bellcote. The church has a C19 square-headed doorway at the W end of the N wall; a stone to the R of the doorway is inscribed with the initials and date: (o) R 1798 R L. The S wall has a rebuilt rectangular window opening to the E (partially blocked with brick) and a small blocked window near the centre. The C15 E window is small, a single round trefoiled light with hollow chamfered jambs.
Late Medieval roof of 4-bays with exposed arch-braced trusses (that to W end a modern replacement). The interior of the church has been completely gutted but retains 4 mid C19 slate memorial tablets along the S wall and 2 on the N wall.
Reason for designation
Listed as a late Medieval church, of exceptionally simple character. Although in a very poor condition, the church is a virtually unaltered late Medieval building (even retaining the original roof trusses) and in its isolation, is characteristic of many churches on the island.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]